1.08.2010

Happy Birthday, King

One of the music labeling stereotypes that I fall victim to is the "Beatles Person" vs. "Elvis Person" school of thought. While I know several people who comfortably sit in both camps (shout out to Jared Smith), I've always leaned far far into the Beatles category.

Of all the songs on my iPod, I only have about 5 Elvis tracks. (South Park made me love "In the Ghetto"). While I may not respond to his music, I certainly respect the King as a cultural icon.

So in honor of Elvis' big 75th birthday, let me share a few of my favorite E-influenced moments:

Velvet Elvis

Buy your own velvet Elvi here



"Elvis is Alive" Rumors

The Lexicon of "Fat Elvis"

Elvis Impersonators
photo by Chris Bail



Tiny Elvis

I wanted to end this post with the SNL video of Tiny Elvis, (Tiny E, if you please), but despite my hour long internet search, I came up dry. If you know of a link, please shoot it my way. The above pic is really all I could find. It's like they're trying to erase Tiny Elvis from our memories. Maybe Alive Elvis is behind it. (New conspiracy theory.)

"Look at this salt shaker, man. It's huuuuge."

Happy Birthday, (Tiny) King.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the "Beatles person" or "Elvis person" classification might have outlived its usefulness. Until recently, I was squarely an "Elvis person." (400+ tracks on my iPod, DVDs, even a piece of memorabilia or two)

    Until recently, how many Beatles tracks? NONE. It was an austere reaction to a very lasting hangover from an intense (intense!) Beatles phase when I was 12-13 years old.

    Now I have the whole Beatles discography back on my iPod. What brought me around? Honest to God, it was Beatles Rock Band. Shit opened it all back up again...

    ReplyDelete