1.05.2010

Never Too Late: Another Bad Creation

"Boys II Men. ABC. BBD. The East Coast Family."

Welcome to the first installment of Never Too Late, in which I'll review (read: ramble) an album that has been released for some time, judge it with both contemporary snark and sentimental appreciation, then make some grand statement about its ir/relevance.

Someone told me this is how serious music blogs are done. (Thanks, mom).

Today's Never Too Late review is an album that is dear to my heart and pretty much personifies my 7th grade self. It's Another Bad Creation's 1991 opus Coolin' At The Playground ya' Know!


First off, it must be stated that Another Bad Creation (ABC) could kick Kris Kross' ass anyday. First of all, there was 6 of them. Secondly, we all know you can't fight while sporting backwards pants (proven statement). But say Kris Kross pulled some wiggity wack shit and fought dirty. Fear not because the entire East Coast Family has ABC's back. And you don't eff with dudes wearing long shorts, denim shirts and ties. Plus, DeVoe will straight cut your ass.

Maybe I should talk about the music now...

Basically, this album has 2 things going for it: "Iesha" (btw, you are the girl that I never had.) and "Playground."

While they both certainly have 1992 and Starter Jacket written all over them, they are both extremely fun to listen to and, better yet, to sing the crap out of. These are the kind of songs that are a blast to put on your iPod. Throw them in the middle of a playlist at a party and watch the room light the hell up when they come on.

Of course, if your party is full of people BORN in the 90s, you'll probably get a different reaction. It'll lack the nostalgic irony. Kind of like when someone plays Andy Gibb's "Shadow Dancing" for me. (No one has actually done this, btw. This is me being clever. Andy Gibb makes me giggle).

While I did hear a few beats that could've influenced J Dilla (R.I.P.), the rest of the album is pretty much crap. (I say "crap" with love, DeVoe, please don't knife me).

Now enough of me. Enjoy this:

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, "What a trip," in the parlance of the day. I had completely forgotten about the synth "There's a place in France..." ditty at the start. Wow.

    I love ABC. I also love hand-painted overalls. Dammmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so true. I have to go on a hunt and see if there is a picture of me in my homemade (puff) painted overalls. The incident DID occur. Now, to find documented proof.

    ReplyDelete